French Shallot Herb Soup
Recipe by Charisma Valentine to pair with our 2017 Chief Peak for our October 2021 wine club release.
- 6 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely sliced
- Olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (can sub in honey)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Chief Peak, for deglazing
- Provolone or gruyere cheese
- Line heavy bottomed pot with olive oil, approximately 2 tablespoons, and then add butter.
- Caramelize shallots and onions on low heat with the sage and bay leaves. Be patient, this will take some time.
- To help with browning, add in brown sugar or honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add flour, cook off, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with Chief Peak, anywhere from a quarter to half a cup.
- Add stock, and simmer until the flavors mingle, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Evenly divide between oven safe bowls.
- Top with cheese.
- Broil until golden brown and bubbly.
- Enjoy with crusty bread for dipping and a glass of Chief Peak!