Blane’s Famous Chile Verde
Recipe by our Operations Manager, Blane Switzer, to pair with our 2018 Blend 33 for our October 2021 wine club release.
- 4-6 lbs pork loin; if boneless 4-5 lbs, if bone-in, 5-6 lbs
- 28 oz. green enchilada sauce (Blane uses Las Palmas)
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 11 oz. diced green chilies, drained
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (Blane uses 1 red and 1 yellow)
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 limes
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 can (about 3.5 oz.) El Pato Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup El Pato Jalapeno Salsa
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning, divided in half (Blane uses McCormick)
- Salt, to taste
- Oil large skillet to medium high heat
- Cut pork into 2 inch slabs
- Sprinkle both sides a 1/2 tablespoon of Taco Seasoning
- Brown meat, about 2 minutes on each side
- Coast bottom of Crockpot with about a third of the enchilada sauce
- Add browned pork to Crockpot
- Simmer tomatoes, chiles, peppers, onion and garlic in skillet, about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour vegetable mixture over pork in Crockpot and add both El Pato sauces and the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Top off with remaining 1/2 tablespoon Taco Seasoning and salt (Blane says 1 teaspoon is enough for him, but his dad would add more!)
- Cook on low in Crockpot for 8 hours, stirring every 2 hours.
- Shred meat and keep on the warm setting of the Crockpot until sauce is absorbed into the meat.
- Blane likes to serve as a burrito, placing the meat into a large flour tortilla, topped with onions and cilantro. He wants to stress the importance of PROPERLY folding the tortilla – ask him for a demo the next time he is your server!
- Enjoy with a glass of 2018 Blend 33.