Pixie Crab Salad
Pairs beautifully with our Roussanne from the famed Bien Nacido Vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley.
- 8 ounces fresh lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 1 cup English cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and diced small
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 3 pixie tangerines, peeled and segmented
- ¼ cup citrus-thyme vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Sprouts or microgreens, for garnish
- Crushed pink peppercorns, minced scallions, snipped chives, or tangerine zest, for garnish (optional)
Combine the crabmeat with onion, cucumber, jalapeño, and tangerine segments in a small bowl. Mix a few spoonfuls of the vinaigrette into the crab mixture and gently toss together until moistened.
Mold the crabmeat into a terrine, ring, or small bowl, then unmold onto a serving plate.
Garnish with sprouts or microgreens or fresh salad greens or other optional garnishes mentioned above. Serve with a glass of 2017 Roussanne and enjoy!
(Makes about 1 cup)
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
¼ cup tangerine juice
1 tablespoon minced shallots
2 teaspoons tangerine zest
1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
2 teaspoons orange blossom water
½ teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup olive oil
In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, juice, shallots, zest, thyme, honey, mustard, orange blossom water, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil until blended.
This will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
By Chef Robin Goldstein, from her book, A Taste of Ojai: Flavors of the Valley. Photo by Andrea Russell.